Hey everyone! Did you know we actually get a day? Not me! I guess it hasn’t caught on yet that we have our own day, so I want to be one of the first to wish you a Happy Single Parents Day. I know its not as cool as mothers day or fathers day. Were not showered by flowers or candies or specially made cards telling you how awesome you are. So I’m gonna go ahead and toot that horn for us. Cheer’s to you Mama’s and Papas out there- you are killing it!
Cheers to you oh parenting champion:
- for having bath time down to an art form while also mastering kung fu like skills to keep the dog from jumping in
- for having the patience to cook yet another mac n cheese dish only to have you child say they no longer like mac n cheese
- for juggling work and calls from the school nurse to come get your child
- for wanting so badly to be normal that you stretch yourself thin to be room parent/team mom/coach even though you already have your plate full
- for rushing home after work to drive the kids to dance/sports practice and figuring out which drive thru to tackle for dinner
- for being the coupon clipping master so you can stretch out that last dollar
- for being the go to cuddles, boo boo kissing person who makes it all better
- for being so stealth when hiding in the closet eating that last cookie that you swore to your child didn’t exist.
- for smiling through gritted teeth when your child thinks the other parent hung the moon – even though you know they wouldn’t be bothered to show up
- for working tow jobs or selling items on Etsy, Ebay or the consignment store so your little one wouldn’t know what its like to not have something
- for not knowing what it’s like to date
- for taking a giant leap and dating
- for having the best nose to sniff through shirts your kid stuffed into the drawers to see if they were clean
- for drying up tears when they want to see the other parent but they cant
- for doing it without child support- even though you need it
- for doing it with $50 worth of child support for 3 kids or more
- for holding back tears when you just want to scream but push through
- for sitting through Daniel the Tiger, Calliou or some other cartoon that you have seen a million times.
- for making last minute Halloween costumes or art projects or science fair projects
- for having to YouTube math lessons so you can understand your child’s homework
- for not losing it in public when you just want to walk around the store in peace
- for not having a bed to yourself in years
- for getting dressed today
- for not forgetting to pack a lunch today
- for defrosting the chicken before your realized it was too late
- for having all the take out menus on hand because you cant cook today
- for loving these children and wanting them to be great
- for not realizing you’ve been watching cartoons long after your child is asleep
- for staying up late to watch that show you like but is not kid appropraite
- for getting creative when something breaks
- for asking for help
- for doing it by yourself
- for being the first and last hug/kiss of the day
- for stepping up to the plate
- for being proud
- for understanding that even though you half assed it today, your kids are healthy, fed and clean
- for not being perfect
- for being strong
- for teaching your children independence and compassion and unconditional love.
- for sacrificing your hair, shoes, nails, steak so your little ones can have what they need
- for budgeting
- for throwing the budget out the window this once to just have fun
- for praying, not praying, wishing and hoping
- for being present
- saving for college $50 at a time
- for showing the world you can do it
- for being the best person to tuck in wiggly wormy bodies to bed and reading in the best big bad wolf voice
- for making it today even when you thought you wouldn’t
- for being amazing and trying your best
- for simply being you
So even though you may not be recognized today, know that in solidarity i stand with you, and i celebrate us. Happy Single Parents day!
With Love and Admiration,
Yes this totally happened! Yes it was hard af! Yes I should have trained better and not been hellbent on bingeing TV shows. Yes I almost drowned because Mr. Iron-man Junior with the rock hard abs and the cute speedo shorts was zooming past me at lightning speed. Yes- my inner spirit animal- Mr. Samuel L Jackson came out to cuss during my bike portion. Yes i did this with a hangover from the epic NYE partying over the weekend. Yes this was nuts and i couldn’t have done it without my squad who fed me jelly beans and sips of coffee in between transitions because technically i was an extra on the walking dead.
Squad Goals: Ahissa (far left- my sista from anotha mista) and my adrenaline junkie inspiring me to do crazy shit friend Tasha (in the red, center)
But seriously i have such a newfound respect for these amazing people that do the Triathlons. My heart is beaming with pride for my friend Tasha who has turned this life into a passion. I feel bad that I didn’t do as great as i could have out of pure laziness. But there is always a sprint or next year to go for. 😉
I don’t know my results. That’s not really what i was going for. This was more of a challenge for me and a slight adrenaline rush. I know my truth lol but I do feel really cool accomplishing something new.
Swim Bike Run
So I leave you with this for the new year and I hope you all take it as a personal challenge to “Go out and be AWESOME! ♥”
Got my first piece of #tri “equipment” today my first ever swim cap. Carefully picked out as to give me street cred. Hence the graffiti. Plus it’s cool. Now waiting on my bathing suit. First indoor triathlon in 11 weeks Adventure 4 of 36!
go out & be awesome ♡ Denise
I’ve decided on Adventure #4 – An indoor triathlon hosted by Lifetime Fitness….in January! Now this is bananas! However I am up for the challenge. I haven’t signed up with a buddy to do it but if any of you want to go on this adventure with me, let me know!
In order to let help you understand where this crazy idea came from I have to introduce to you to a great friend of mine, one of my bestest friends, Tasha who I had the pleasure of befriending in 2013. Both single moms and a bit of a wild card we fit together just right. I met her when I was having a rough time near the end of my relationship with my sons father. She lived in my neighborhood and our sons all went to school together. She was always positive through my walk through hell and when I made it out to the other side she is still here and I love her for that. She is a true adventurer and a risk taker and a dreamer but most importantly Tasha is a DO-ER. Once she sets her mind on something she finishes it and then somehow manages to have a thirst for the next big thing. I love that! When I met her she was just getting into OCR racing (Obstacle course racing) she had completed a Spartan, a Battlefrog, Bad Ass Dash, Down and Dirty and a few more. She kept talking about it in such a way that I just had to try it for myself. It was with her enthusiasm and motivation and help that I competed in my first Spartan race. She knew I was slow, overweight and sluggish but she stuck by me through the whole race and at the end I got to call myself a Spartan. For any of you who have done one you know it’s no easy feat so I will own that title as long as I live. She also got me to do my second Spartan race in April and now here I am signing up for an indoor triathlon all because my dear friend caught the tri-bug a little over a year ago. She had never competed in one and I’ve seen her go from occasional racer to full on athlete mode in the past year. Watching her get such great joy from the sport, get excited with passion and hear her stories of meeting great athletes and achieving her goals makes it so appealing. I’ve seen her go from a not so very strong swimmer to one who is swimming in open water, from a 5k runner to a 10k runner and now a bicyclist. All to be admired.
She has been trying to get me to Tri for a while but I let my insecurities and bum heels get in the way. Always saying “I need to do that” but never really going for it. Well that’s about to change y’all. Because she told me about the indoor tri and I went ahead and signed up for it. Yep committed to it. On January 3rd I will become a triathlete. I will start my new year off crossing off a mini goal and I hope that this will help me heal my body and get myself motivated to get healthier and stronger physically. Now the next 11 weeks may be peppered with obscene words, a little self-doubt and a mad post or two about how id rather be fat and happy eating pizza than skinny and eating clean. Just be forewarned and when I say these things out of Hanger, exhaustion and self-doubt – just say the following back to me:
“You are a triathlete”
Anyone interested in looking if one is offered in your city or would like to join me in Alpharetta on January 3rd you can check out the following link. Wish me luck!
**A side note of encouragement. For those who are wanting to try something new just go for it. I am far from the athletic build. I’m soft in ALL places, I have a butt that high fives me in the back, really busty, have bad feet and I’m slower than molasses. If I can do it you can too! And in my experience I’ve seen more people cheer on the slower, overweight girl trying her best over the girl who’s always winning. People love and underdog. They love to chant for the “Rudy’s” of the world. So join me on my journey we’ll be AWESOME together! ❤
Me and Tasha getting ready to compete in my first Spartan Goonies Never Say Die!
Tasha showing off her well deserved and earned medal after one of her races